Monday, July 15, 2013

My Love with English. Blog Marathon (Post-2)


Having kept myself away from Blogging for the last 60 days I have decided to go on a Blog Marathon for the first time, so as to make sure I'm completely back in touch with writing. And here it is, my second post of the blog marathon. The topic I decided to write on was "My Love with English"

I'm no good at English till 2010. If you ask me to frame a sentence with a little of vocab in it. That was enough to embrace me and I would run away from you. I used to feel so insecure back then. Having a bond with my local language I consider English is not my cup of tea. 



It was the time when I was in my first year of Engineering when I moved out of my comfort zone and settled in a place where I had no clue of what others were actually talking about. I had a serious language problem by then. I struggled to make friends with the locals. I started feeling so low and lonely. It was actually a period of uncertainty and there is no escape. 

In short locals in Chennai have a great bonding with their local language Tamil. English is a bad thing for them. They love their language and equally hate other languages. ( Some category of people are like this. I meant!) Much to my disappointment there is no one who is good at the language in the vicinity. 

You see, What I actually did in my 4 years of Graduation is that I tried to be different in a bunch of whole. I'm the one who speaks in English with every Lecturer and Professor in my Dept. It's a good feel when you win over others in some cases. 

After being ruthlessly abused by someone who hardly knows me for some particular reason. I thought of to stop enough of nonsense that I had been into for nearly more than 2 years. I decided to move on. I regret for wasting 2 precious years of mine where I could have done a lot more useful stuff which by now could have made me stand in a right place. 

The move on mantra for me was English. I fell in love with the language. I decided to take up the challenge. Wanted to create an impact. I was badly in need of my own recognition. I wanted people to recognize me as a useful resource. I wanted to master the art of speaking as well as writing the Language English. 

Here are the 5 Best ways to Improve your command over English: 

1. Read Newspaper every day. (Times Of India, THE HINDU, ECONOMIC TIMES). 

2. Watch National News Channels (Times Now, CNN-IBN, Headlines Today) 

Note: Do not watch BBC and NDTV Good Times in the very first attempt. The language they use is so heavy for a beginner to follow. 

Hint: Make a habit of watching Newshour Debate with Arnab Goswami on Times Now and India @ 9 with Rajdeep Sardesai on CNN-IBN. And also News @ 9 with Rahul Kanwal on Headlines Today. 

You know something?. I do follow these 3 debates at a time depending on the topic they debate on. You might find these shows handy. Observe the way they speak. Make a mental note of those words and apply when such situation comes to you. It's simple. 

3. Read more books. Be it Fiction, Non-Fiction. Underline the words and check with the Dictionary or just Google it. Make a note of them as well. 

4. Write as much as you can. Write everyday. What ever you feel. Initially that might sound a bit too tough. But you will get used to it slowly. It will really help you. 

5. Implement the above 4 points for at least a minimum of 6 to 8 months. I'm sure you will do great things in life. You will feel more confident than ever. Trust me. 

If you really wanted to start reading a book. Here are some suggestions I can give for you. 

1. I Too Had a Love Story by Ravinder Singh.

2. The Secret Wish List by Preeti Shenoy. 

3. LOSER by Dipen Ambalia. 

4. Till The Last Breath by Durjoy Datta.

5. Come on Inner Peace. I don't Have All Day!  by Sachin Garg. 

6. If It's not Forever by Nikita Singh and Durjoy Datta. 

7. Two States by Chetan Bhagat. 

8. How I braved Anu Aunty and Co-Founded a Million Dollar Company by Varun Agarwal. 

These are enough for now. Grab your copy and start reading. 

Happy Reading!! :) 

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. Leave your comment here so that I can make my improvements.